sunday on etsy with a ninja (really!)

I spent yesterday and most of (Friday too) working out how to make a sock animal. I got a book from the library called Sock and Glove. It seemed pretty easy; the book had pictures to follow. How much easier can it get?

Well, I'm not a good sewer. Not even by a little bit. I want to sew. I want to have beautiful seams. I wanted to have a sock dog that would be the envy of sock dogs everywhere! What I got, is Frankendog. (Now to be fair, I took him apart and put him back together again. He originally had an X for one eye and his body was extremely long and gangly. He also had a crooked head and (since I was making him from a pair of used socks) a mangy quality to his ears. So here he is; Frankendog.


I will be posting on 17 Grandia Road later today the travesty of sock kitty and sock bunny.

Now lets get down to someone who can actually do this properly. Uppity Woman! Well more properly, Uppity Woman Designs.

First, Rosie:





Frankendog is staring at me right now. I think he feels betrayed. But look at Rosie. How adorable and cute is she? Look at that face! And that little red flower she wears makes her look quite jaunty. Maybe Frankendog wants a date?

Then there's Starr:



I would still find this dog just as cute even if we didn't share a name. Look at how well she stands up!


Ah well. I promised you a Ninja too, didn't I? Here he is:




This little guy is super clever and totally awesome for being kinda geeky and dashing at the same time!


This is the quality I am striving for. I don't know that I want to sell sock animals, I think I just want to be able to be proud that I was able to make a high quality sock dog. Don't get me wrong. I love Frankendog because he was my very first attempt. And while he has already changed once, I may even change his eyes again; he looks kinda girly.

So how do you hide the seams on the legs and head? This is one of those "I've been sewing for a dog's age (no pun intended) and it's one of those things you just pick up along the way" isn't it. *sigh* Research and the internet is my friend and I will, by dog, find out!!

Uppity Woman's got it goin' on. She is my sock animal hero! And she can be yours too. Go visit her shop. Adopt a sock animal. She has got the most lovely little critters. If I had a million dollars (oo, Bare Naked Ladies sang a song about that!) I'd own every single one of them!
-----


As an aside, I received an Adopt-A-Gnome in the mail yesterday as a thank you from Cheryl at Once Upon The End! I can't believe it! I am now the proud parent of Gilbert. He grows award winning radishes, loves to knit, and is only 108 years old. That's quite young for a gnome you know! Here's his picture!



Isn't he cute!?! Thank you so much Cheryl. I am so proud!

Comments